Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Howdy!

I would like to welcome you to my blog. If you are not from Texas, do not worry. A lot of information I have been digging up is good for anywhere in the country. I am trying to create a complete plan for my property including management of the forest and the pond together for income, personal enjoyment, and wildlife. Surprisingly, I have found no single book or person that deals with all sides of my plan. I am trying to learn as much as possible myself to properly manage my land. It has been tough since much of the literature is for large properties, other climates, different goals, outdated, or narrowly focused. I own 17 acres in Red River county Texas that has about 12 acres of uneven aged bottomland forest, a 3 acre pond, and 2 acres of open area. The forest has oak, hickory, elm, ash, eastern redcedar, and some other minor species. The pond is stocked with largemouth bass, hybrid bluegill, channel catfish, and crappie. It is also hosting a diverse population of migrating ducks this year. There is also a bit of history to place. The pond was originally dug in 1895 for the steam rail line that is now decommissioned. Coal is scattered around the property along with other leftovers from the railroad days. I will be reviewing the books I read about wildlife and forestry, passing along the good info, warning about the bad info, and generally trying to create what I have been looking for over the past 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment